This year and for the past few years Grads of B.C. have had to do these “ Portfolios” in order to graduate. Over the years the name of the program has changed and each schools does theirs differently but no matter how different it is or how many times they change the program or give it a different name it is still a pain in every Grads butt.
At my school we call it Graduation Transitions. We have these Binders and we have 3 main sections, Personal health, Community Connections, and Career and Life. We get a booklet that has assignments that go into each section, as well we have to collect evidence and have reflections/ explanations for each piece of evidence. After all evidence and assignments have been collected and finished we get them checked off by the teacher in charge of the program and come May we have to be present these binders in a “ Interview” with another teacher at the school during our selected time. We can also add sections to our binder like Sports, Academics, Hobbies, and etc. Also in order to graduate we need to have done 30 hours of work/ volunteer experience. Even though I found that doing this binder was a complete waste of time, it was kind of satisfying to see how much evidence I had to go into it when all was said and done.
I think that when we do these binders you don’t really know how much you actual have done, or you think you don’t have anything to put in there. But by the time your finished you can actually see all the stuff you’ve done, your plans, and your goals. Piece of advice for next years Grads and grads to come DO NOT LEAVE THIS TO THE LAST MINUTE! You will regret trying to scramble around to get all your assignments done.
Did you get it done? How did you do? Who was your teacher?
ReplyDeleteGrad Transitions IS a pain in the butt, but I found out yesterday that every letter and thing I've done since I was born has been filed away in my dad's "work folder" away from my "throw-everything-away" type mom. And yesterday my dad and I spent two hours pouring over the stuff I did. And I realized that half that stuff can go in my GT. So evidence is not a problem!!!
ReplyDeleteI am following and looking for some blog posts to come. Please e-mail me an update once you have done some blogging :)
ReplyDeleteI don't want to do it! I don't know, three years of stress for a ten minute interview? Is it worth it? I'm not sure yet.
ReplyDeleteagree, never leave it till the last minute
ReplyDeleteI wish I had this advice BEFORE i got into grade 12....so future grads listen to this advice because it will really help you....Great job!!!!!
ReplyDeleteNick says "This article leaves me speechless"
ReplyDeleteI found the same thing, I didn't realize how much stuff I've done until I had it all right in front of me in the binder.... :)
ReplyDelete